This jam is not only a massive dose of nutrients per little bitty serving but its also as easy as it gets when it comes to making something delicious, healthy and oh-so-versatile.
Chia is a staple that everybody should have in their kitchen but especially pregnant and postpartum mamas. In pregnancy, you're nourishing your baby while also keeping your own nutrient reserves afloat and postpartum you're either replenishing lost nutrients and rehabilitating your system or you're breastfeeding and STILL nourishing two human beings at once. The nutrients in chia seeds tap into so many nutrients that are necessary for growing a baby and supplying mamas nutrient needs. Magnesium, iron, potassium, calcium, zinc, protein, fiber, omega 3s, to name a few! Toss chia on salads, yogurt, in smoothies and oatmeal, in your muffins and pancakes - the options are plenty!
Getting to the point of why you're here, this is one of my favorite ways to consume chia seeds! Enjoy this recipe and per usual, check out the notes section below for tips :)
Wild Berry + Chia Jam
Prep time: 15 minutes
Yields: 12 oz jar of jam
2 C organic berries
2 Tbl chia seeds
1/3 C water
Sprinkle of Cinnamon
Drizzle of Maple Syrup
1.Place berries and water in a saute pan over medium heat and cover to seal in moisture.
2. Once berries are soft, remove from heat & smash to desired consistency.
3. Mix in chia seeds and let sit for a couple of minutes to thicken.
4. Add cinnamon & maple syrup to taste.
5. Enjoy over toast, yogurt, pancakes, whatever your heart desires!
6. Store in an airtight container (ideally glass) and refrigerate.
1. I use frozen berries because its more cost effective. Trader Joes sells a 12oz bag of organic mixed berries that comes out to 2 heaping cups. Just enough!
2. Get creative and add whatever spices or sweetener you prefer!