If you've never simmered beef bones in your crockpot for over 12 hours, you are missing out on the most intoxicating smell! One of my favorite crockpot recipes is making a good bone broth because its both delicious and so nourishing for our bodies! I've tried many bone broth recipes that simply don't have the flavor to drink it plain, so I wanted to create a broth that would be a great soup base, a flavorful liquid for cooking grains and delicious consumed straight up on its own! We are pho fanatics (pho-natics?!) so why not seek some Vietnamese inspo for the ultimate broth? Yes, please!
There are a few supplies that make this a much easier process, so I'll be sure to include those at the end.
First, I want to discuss why it's so beneficial to include bone broth in your diet. I'll lay this out simply...bone broth is golden juice for your body with an endless list of benefits. Here are a few benefits worth noting:
+ Improves digestive function. It is easily digestible, hydrating and one of the best sources of collagen. Collagen is crucial for forming tissue in the GI tract, which helps with leaky gut & food sensitivies.
+ Improves skin health. The collagen found in bone broth also helps support skin health by strengthening it and improving its elasticity. It is also beneficial for nail and hair growth!
+ A great source of electrolytes, minerals and essential nutrients. Rich in calcium, magnesium, iron, zinc, fatty acids & more.
+ Boosts the immune system.
+ Reduces inflammation.
+ Beneficial for defending against autoimmune disease, arthritis, joint pain & cartilage damage.
+ Supports neurotransmission, mental clarity and mood by improving gut health.
+ Detoxifying. Bone broth is high in glutathione, a powerful detoxifying agent that helps cleanse the liver & digestive tract from environmental toxins.
Especially important is consuming bone broth during times of physical recovery. It supports wound healing & your immune system so always add in broth during illness, after surgery, after childbirth & during autoimmune flare ups. When your body is in recovery mode you should focus on consuming easily digestible, warm foods in order to conserve energy and support your body's ability to strengthen and heal.
I have added additional ingredients to support healing, increase nutrient density and boost the immune system. These include cinnamon, ginger, garlic, star anise, black pepper, mustard seed, onion & fresh herbs.
+ 3-4 lbs of grass-fed beef bones (check your local farmer's market!)
+ 1 red onion, loosely chopped
+ 4 cloves of fresh garlic
+ 2 inches (or 2 tablespoons) of fresh ginger
+ 1 Tablespoon of black peppercorns
+ 1 Tablespoon of mustard seed
+ 2 cinnamon sticks
+ 4 star anise stars
+ a few sprigs of thyme
+ a few sprigs of rosemary
+ a few sprigs of sage
+ mineral salt to taste
1. Roast your bones on a parchment-lined sheet pan for 30 minutes at 450*. This helps cook off some of the fat and create a richer flavor.
2. Place bones, onion, ginger, garlic, black pepper, mustard, cinnamon and star anise in the crockpot. Sprinkle with salt. Fill with water until bones are covered.
3. Set crockpot to low and cook for 12-24 hours, the longer it cooks the richer and more nutrient dense the broth.
4. About an hour or two prior to turning the crockpot off, add thyme, rosemary & sage.
5. When broth is complete, spoon off the top layer of fat & discard. Take a spider strainer to get the big chunks out and discard.
6. Place the fine mesh strainer in a large bowl and ladle or pour the rest of the broth through the fine mesh strainer.
7. Take the final broth and fill your glass jars using a ladle and a funnel. Be sure to not exceed the top 12oz line. You want to be sure there is room for expansion, especially if freezing.
8. Loosely screw on tops until broth has cooled to room temperature. Once cooled, place in fridge or freezer for storage!
+ 6 12 oz Mason Jars
+ Canning Funnel (https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Funnel-Wide-Mouth-Kitchen-Canning/dp/B07P81DNM5/ref=asc_df_B07P81DNM5/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=343252305809&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14821115360401762846&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9007584&hvtargid=pla-689457279010&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=73031402110&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=343252305809&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14821115360401762846&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9007584&hvtargid=pla-689457279010)
+ Spider Strainer (https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/helen-rsquo-s-asian-kitchen-reg-spider-strainer/1014749110?skuId=14749110&enginename=google&mcid=PS_googlepla_nonbrand_kitchenfoodprep_online&product_id=14749110&adtype=pla&product_channel=online&adpos=&creative=356249224685&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&utm_campaignid=71700000053870723&utm_adgroupid=58700005143200950&targetid=92700045203754908&gclid=CjwKCAjwtNf6BRAwEiwAkt6UQmkwWtgnpxgXzbs5z39PiZy4SCIhGq24likCusRkY0yDMQczp7ndHxoCSF8QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds)